Sunday, June 14, 2015

Words of Encouragement As We Obey the LORD

1 Chronicles 28:19-20 “All this,” David said, “I have in writing as a result of the LORD's Hand on me, and He enabled me to understand all the details of the plan.” David also said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished."

The monumental task in building the temple. -v.2
The position of the Temple Mount... Great Wall of China- very difficult to even get materials there.
The problem of getting the workers.
The length of time it would take.

1 Chronicles 29:1 Then King David said to the whole assembly: “My son Solomon, the one whom God has chosen, is young and inexperienced. The task is great, because this palatial structure is not for man but for the LORD God. 

There are similarities with Nehemiah. v.20
Nehemiah 2:8 And may I have a letter to Asaph, keeper of the royal park, so he will give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel by the temple and for the city wall and for the residence I will occupy?” And because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests. 
v.18 I also told them about the gracious Hand of my God on me and what the king had said to me.They replied, “Let us start rebuilding.” So they began this good work. 

The good Hand of the LORD was upon David and Nehemiah.

There are similarities between David's words and Joshua's (1.5-7)
Joshua 1:5-7 No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go.

These things David told Solomon to be were from the LORD. The LORD does not give us commands that are impossible to obey. He does gives us things that are only possible with Him. After He gives these directions He adds blessings. 
Solomon was building a physical temple. The LORD is building His church.

1 Peter 2:4-5 As you come to Him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to Him— you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 


Let's look at what we are called to be:

1. Be Strong.
Firm 

Matthew, Mark and Luke's Gospels all record the words of Jesus in reference to our posture when He returns:
Stand firm ( Matthew 24.13  , Mark 13.13, Luke 21.19)
1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the LORD is not in vain. 

Ephesians 6:13-14 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place...

Our strength comes from the LORD.
Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 

Resolute 
Purpose to follow the LORD

Prevail
Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. 
Jesus promised that the gates of hell would not prevail against the church.



2. Be Courageous.
Brave, Stout, Bold, Hard, Solid, Alert

Brave because of the Captain of our faith.

Alert because of the times.

Reading the book about praying during troubled times has encouraged me to pray over the news, to look at the terror ploys as prayer requests.  

Take the offense. Too long we have been on the defense. Defense holds ground, offense takes new ground.

3. Do Not Be Afraid or Discouraged.
They are definitely twin sisters, arrows in the enemy's arsenal. 

Afraid
terrify
How easy it is to lose perspective. All we need to do is to focus on the problem or challenge and lean on our own understanding and we will be afraid. 
The temptation to leave God out of the equation is one we often stumble into and then we are terrified. Conjuring up ridiculous things in our minds (like the righteous being forsaken) doesn't help us.


Discouraged
Shattered, Broken, Scared
When discouragement comes we feel like things are falling apart. We panic. We have feelings like all is lost. Its all over.

Shattered dreams can discourage us then we remember David and Joseph who both had shattered dreams and yet saw them fulfilled supernaturally.


4. Jesus Never Fails.
To let you drop
"Trust me I'll catch you."
Aunt Vivian swimming in the ocean with us.
My grandkids- hold me Poppa, in the bay- Maddie this week


5. He Will Never Forsake You.
Leave, loose, depart, desert, abandon 

Where are You, LORD?
Psalm 10:1 Why, Lord, do you stand far off?Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble? 
Why are You Not Answering my prayers?
Habakkuk 1:2 How long, Lord, must I call for help,but you do not listen?Or cry out to you, “Violence!”but you do not save? 

Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” 
Don't worry- trust in Him!
We are never alone.
We are never without help. He is all powerful.
We are never without hope.
Proverbs 18:24 One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. 


He will complete the work He has begun in you and through you.

No comments: